Sunday, July 28, 2013

Keystone Bike Race 6-29-13

As much as I would like to sever all ties with the real world and simply climb my heart out I still have some responsibilities. There will always be the credit card, phone, and miscellaneous bills hanging over my head. And as much as I would love to write them off I know that I need good credit and a phone that will make calls when needed. My financials now are like the tide but on a very small scale. They ebb and flow but there is a lot more ebbing as of late. I work enough to get me to the next stretch of the journey. Until the money is gone I'm running around on the sides of mountains chasing mountain goats. As I'm sure I've mentioned before I'm a huge fan of Craigslist. You can be as resourceful as you want provided you know where to look. Well I needed money so I was looking pretty hard. I managed to find a gig working a local bike race helping set up and break down the event. I really enjoyed it as the only real "work" aspect consisted of initially sorting out riders during the first lap. After that it was primarily sitting in a chair and making sure nobody went down the wrong path while I studied my 14er guidebook. This went on for hours but I was getting paid. At the end of the race I rode along in a souped up golf cart helping remove signage and road cones. After getting to the bottom I was treated to an awesome meal before breaking down the finish line area I had help put together. Awesome! I had made enough money to pay a couple of bills and keep the wheels rolling. You can be as broke as you want or you can be as resourceful as you want.



2 comments:

  1. the race sign reminds me of waking up in Breckinridge to a race commencing right below my window... sounds like you've developed a rhythm here with the hikes.... xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wander if it isn't the same people. I was going to work a race in breck but they ended up getting enough volunteers.

      Delete