Thursday, October 31, 2013

Decisively Dirtbag: Vol 2 Craigslist for Survival

I've come to a critical lesson in my storyline. I have mentioned craigslist several times throughout earlier entries but I've never gone into detail. If you haven't already gathered, I'm a big fan. You can do a little bit of everything on there. I've given people I've never met rides cross country, I've sold cars, found housing, and bought and sold all kinds of used stuff throughout the years. I've learned to be careful with my craigslist exclamations though. I had a friend I hadn't seen for awhile give me an odd look when I was explaining my summer plans earlier this year. After telling her I was a huge fan of craigslist she cautiously asked if I was on there for the casual encounters or missed connections sections of the site. Unfortunately for the sake of making a good story I'm never poking around in those areas. I was careful to elaborate after that. I am almost always surfing through the jobs or gigs section looking for some quick work. You don't have to limit yourself here though. There are community sections, discussion boards, offered services, and of course you can even score a date if you want. I have to give the documentary "craigslist joe" another plug. I was really moved with the concept of getting rid of everything and living entirely off of craigslist. I would strongly encourage you to watch that movie and try to take something from it.


Before you start posting away or answering emails from a Nigerian Prince you need to flip over your laptop or keyboard and find where "Gullible" is printed in italics underneath. In all honesty if you haven't ventured into the world of online classifieds you should DEFINITELY take the time to read through the very helpful and informative sections on scams and personal safety. Start here with how to recognize and deal with scams, http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams. Once you're up to speed with scams you've graduated on to the personal safety page. Some are common sense but these are still important tips with how to handle transactions, http://www.craigslist.org/about/safety. I've never had a bad encounter yet but I've screened through my fair share of bollocks beforehand. After you're able to sufficiently cover your ass then read here to learn how to score a sweet deal on that Elvis toaster, http://www.craigslist.org/about/help/search. Lastly, here is how you successfully post an ad to recruit fellow Dungeons and Dragons players, http://www.craigslist.org/about/help/how_to_post. Are you getting sick of reading a dry, cut and past tutorial? Well I'm tired of cutting and pasting. Let's get to the good stuff.

If you have a smartphone then I would highly recommend using an app called Craigslist for Android or CLapp for short. One of the biggest perks about this app is the ability to search up to 5 locations at once. Also the sheer mobility and damn convenience of using your phone while dirt bagging is priceless.  Once you are comfortable navigating around the craigslist website you should be able to transfer those skills and figure this intuitive app out with your noggin. This will greatly expedite your endeavors. It looks like this and is simply awesome. Learn it, use it, love it.

Coffee

My own nuggets of wisdom I would love to impart:
  1. You can tell a great deal about the other person by their spelling and grammar alone. If they struggle to conjure an email that sounds better than a text from a 12 year old then steer clear. This goes for engrish as well. 
  2. If it's too good to be true then it almost always is.
  3. Trust your instincts.
  4. Don't take it to heart if somebody fails to respond or outright flakes.
  5. Be as good as possible with communication and don't leave anybody hanging. If you aren't interested then say so. 
  6. Good grammar, spelling, and punctuation will get your foot in the door better than anything else. 
  7. Sow many seeds, something will eventually sprout.
  8. Check often and strike while the iron is hot.
 
How many times does opportunity knock?

No comments:

Post a Comment