Saturday, July 27, 2013

And So It Begins 6-23-13

Once back in Colorado I had a bit of reacclimating to do. I don't think I had lost all the altitude ability yet but it was waning. I wasn't excited about getting done with a cross country trip and then immediately throwing myself at a fourteener. I tried to ease back into high country life by simply taking care of loose ends. To begin with, my PO box was just about overflowing and I knew there was the odd bill to sift for. Aside from the dreaded bills I did manage to receive my order of juice plus and the remainder of my security deposit. In my experience it seems like no matter what the condition the house was left in the landlord always manages to whittle away half of the deposit. At least I my juice plus order had come in. I had been wanting to start that and see what it could do for me.

With the boring stuff done it was time to go play outside for a bit. I had drug around my disc golf discs all over the south and only managed to play two times in Wilmington. Now that I was back in familiar terrain I was able to go to the Frisco Peninsula and play a round with a friend. Disc Golf is a great way to get outside and walk around without having to exert too much energy all at once. Since you are walking for over an hour you get the exercise in and don't get too winded. If you are skeptical I recommend giving it a try and you might surprise yourself with what you think.

With peak bagging on the horizon I needed to overhaul all the gear in my car. I had been lugging around an odd assortment of tools, clothes, and random odds and ends. This all needed to get organized and swapped out for climbing and camping gear. It felt good to again rid myself of the fluff and strip down to just what I needed for this summer's adventure. I allowed two days time for my lungs to pseudo acclimate before I decided to pull the trigger on Quandary Peak. I chose this mountain for a number of reasons. This was the perfect one to start on because of its close proximity, ease of climbing, and most importantly it was where my 14,000 foot journey began. Even though I had already summited Quandary I still wanted to bag every 14er in a single summer.


Everybody climbs Quandary for the same reasons I did and with it being a Sunday it was a happening spot. Luckily I got to the trailhead right around 6:30 so it hadn't yet turned into the circus that it does on the weekend. As I was getting ready for the hike I saw a smaller built guy getting ready to hit the trail. He got my attention because of how he was dressed and how little he was bringing with him. I realized that he was a trail runner. There is a certain breed of people that aren't content to merely hike up a 14er but feel the need to run and jog the majority to improve their overall time from top to bottom. There are some driven people in this world. He scampered off and I didn't see him again until later. At the trailhead it was cold before the sun was coming up and I made the noob mistake of bringing my thick hooded sweatshirt. I might have been on the trail 15 minutes before that thing was off of me and halfheartedly stuffed into my pack. Note to self, "Don't bring that blanket of a hoody again." Once I had risen above treeline and hit a flat part of the trail I was greeted by a family of mountain goats. They are usually around on many of these peaks and are always nice to see. Nualla thought it prudent to see how fast they could run but she didn't get too far before I reeled her in. 


It's important to always climb at your own pace. You never want to outdo yourself before getting closer to the top where the air is thinner and the terrain more difficult. You also don't want to hold yourself back and go along at a snail pace if you don't want to. With this in mind I found myself both passing people and getting passed. After 3 hours I found myself on top with a decent gathering of early hikers. Everybody was in good spirits with people eating snacks and taking pictures. Some were commenting that it was their first ascent of a 14er. I remember a group of younger girls enjoying the novelty of having cell service on top of the mountain. I shuffled around on top for a half hour talking with others, eating some food, and reflecting on what I had decided to get myself into. 2 hours downhill and I was back at the car. There was easily twice the amount of cars there from when I arrived and I was happy to be on my way with my first name off of the list. 



No comments:

Post a Comment